Search This Blog

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Where I Walk - Part 2 - "The Point"



OK, as promised, once I finish walking through the Ritz (see Where I walk - Part 1 - "Puttin' on the Ritz"!), I really start to get into a power walk...   Or I sit on a rock on the beach.  I mean really, if you see a horse climbing into the water, how can you not stop.


I mean really, who wouldn't stop???

The horses race.  On the day after they race, or the day before they race, they are brought down to the beach to swim, cool down and have a different type of workout.  Much like me somedays, but I digress...

Timing is everything in life, and catching a view of the swimming horses only happens about once a week.  BUT, if I don't catch the horses, I turn right at the Ritz...

And you are walking THE POINT...


This is actually a photo of the point from up on a hill.  But you get an idea of what i am talking about.  On the far right side, you can see a few buildings with blue roofs.  Those are the time share buildings at the Ritz I talked about yesterday.  If you see that sliver of land that connects the point to the time share at the Ritz, that is where I see the horses swim.  The point is almost an island, connected by that sliver of land.  It is the furthest East you can get on the island and still be on St Thomas.  In the background, you can see St John (the pretty US Virgin Island).  Only about 3 miles.


OK, back to the point... This is that sliver of land, on the Ritz side, the horses are 20 yards on the other side.


At this point, we are walking again... The road to the entrance of Cabrita Point.


Like many things on the island, parts of the point are GREAT ideas, that just didn't quite work out.  At one time, the point was going to be an exclusive area to live.  With a guard house controlling access.  SOmeone should have guarded the guard shack.


But there are a few successful projects, a beautiful place to live would be these condos.  Their back door is 10 feet from the Atlantic, with the British Virgin Islands just about 7 miles away.


See (but from this angle, you see Red Hook, still US Virgin).


And there are plenty of high end private homes.  Most are protected with a private gate and have an amazing view of the water, but a so so view from the road I am walking.  But a few even have pretty gates.  This is among the best.


Other homes use less inviting means of protection.


I just always have to smile as I walk by this... With all the construction that could/should be done, all the roads that need to be repaired, all the hiking trails that could be cleared to add another tourist attraction to improve the economy... Here's a Caterpillar Tractor that hasn't moved for 5 months... or more...

Sigh.


The point is not as dramatically pretty as the walk through the Ritz property, but you do get a few nice views... Here, we are looking back on the Ritz property.


Do they even make kids memorize poetry anymore???  Sometimes it tales 5 decades to understand, but here is one I remember from my youth..


 
TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;        5
 
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,        10
 
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.        15
 
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.



Robert Frost, The Road not Taken

But in this case, doesn't matter which road... It runs a loop around the point.


The road starts to get a little rocky from here... Wish they would use that tractor from before.


But you do get close to St John, and can usually get a look at one of the ferries that travel back and forth.  This is the car ferry.  Makes a bit of noise.


It gets hot and not as pretty as the rest of the walk, but once you make the loop around the point, and get back to the Ritz area, you can walk along Vessup Beach...

Which i will show off tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment